The history of CRC began in the spring of 1958. Charles J. Webb II, a successful entrepreneur in the wool industry, was interested in diversifying his business. He became aware of a new chemical anti-corrosion product being marketed by a West Coast company and was intrigued by its sales potential. He travelled to California and made a verbal agreement to distribute the product east of the Mississippi and in Europe.
Later on he decided to create his own manufacturing company and on October 6, 1958, a company called Corrosion Reaction Consultants, Inc CRC was born.
For the first few years the company sold one product - CRC Corrosion Inhibitor. As its name suggests, the product was a multi-purpose lubricant used to suppress corrosion in mechanical and electrical machinery.
In 1963 CRC decided to specialize by developing products that target specific markets. The original product, 5-56, was reformulated, and alternatives were developed that satisfied specific needs for the automotive, industrial, electrical, marine and aviation markets. This approach was very successful and was followed by the development of a wide range of complementary products.
Over the years, many products have been developed. CRC offers a complete range of cleaners, lubricants, corrosion inhibitors, protective coatings, degreasers, greases, additives and speciality products which have been tailored for specific customer maintenance and repair needs.
In April 1974, CRC purchased and moved into a larger building in Warminster, Pennsylvania, which would ultimately become the corporate headquarters, as well as the company's largest manufacturing plant.
CRC in Europe.
As early in 1961, CRC began working with distributors in Europe, and in 1967 CRC Chemicals Europe was incorporated in Brussels, Belgium. Originally, product concentrate was imported from America. It was mixed and filled at local filler.
By 1969 business had grown, and the operation moved. In 1971 product concentrates were mixed on site. In 1974 aerosol filling began on a small scale with the installation of a semi-automated production line.
In 1975 a manufacturing plant was built in Zele, Belgium. This facility was designed to manufacture nearly all of the same products that are manufactured in the U.S., with the range defined by local customer requirements.
Throughout the late seventies and eighties, CRC Chemicals Europe expanded its operations throughout Europe by establishing a mix of subsidiaries and distributors.
In 1984 CRC acquired Kontakt Chemie, a German electronics specialty chemical supplier. As they would do with all acquisitions, CRC retained the company's well-established trade name.
In 1993, CRC acquired Siceront KF. As the French market leader of speciality chemicals for the electrical, industrial and electronic markets, KF has proven to be another winning addition to the CRC family.
In 1998, CRC acquired Ets. Robert, a French company that distributes industrial products for moulding and de-moulding applications.
2004 saw the acquisition of Ambersil Limited in the United Kingdom. Based in Bridgwater, Somerset, the Ambersil site has its own manufacturing, warehousing, sales and marketing operation; further expanding CRC Europe's manufacturing capacity. The Ambersil brand is 60-years old and focuses on maintenance (MRO) and Polymer Processing products.
CRC in East Pacific.
Paralleling the growth in Belgium, CRC Australia was established in 1969.
Today a full range of CRC products is produced and packaged at the Australian plant. Through subsidiaries, acquisitions, and market penetration, CRC Australia established export agreements with more than 15 countries in the Asian Region.
By the 1990s, CRC was sold in more than 120 countries. In 1999 CRC further extended its international presence by establishing a fourth operating unit in Asia.
The company today maintains four independent operating groups headquartered in the United States, Australia, Europe and New-Zealand. Each operating group provides manufacturing and distribution centres to serve local markets.